publication date: Jun 5, 2013
author/source: Kate Faulkner
Make sure you have a happy holiday and leave your home safe
With all the excitement of preparing for your annual holiday it’s easy to overlook a few steps that will ensure your home is left safe, you don’t return to any nasty surprises and a big insurance claim!
Here’s our top five tips:-
Top tip one: What to turn off
- The water at the mains so the cold water tank can’t overflow
- If it’s warm, turn off the gas (if winter, make sure you leave it on low)
- All electric sockets and take plugs out which aren’t needed eg microwave,computer, kettle
Top tip two: What to cancel
- Newspapers and any regular papers such as freebies
- Sign up to the Post Office ‘Keep safe’ service
Top tip three: What to lock up
- External doors and windows
- Shed and out houses
- Make sure your alarm is set and neighbours or key holders are aware you are away.
Top tip four: Set up automated lights
- Secure timers set for the morning and evening
- Consider using timers for the radio to turn on and off
Top tip five: Ask someone to keep their eye on your property
- If you have a friendly neighbour its worth asking them to make sure the property remains secure and any pots are watered so your home looks cared for.
These are just a few tips, but visit Direct Line and Legal and General for more information on how to secure your home when you are on holiday.
Time to renew your insurance or insuring a property for the first time? Visit:-