How to check your rental property electrics are safe


How to check your rental property electrics are safe checklist

Checklist provided by

The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers

Why we work with NAPIT


  Make sure your rental property has a periodic electrical inspection and test at least every five years carried out by a qualified and competent electrical inspector. The document used for this is an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). This is a legal requirement in Scotland, Wales and England. This will check for wear and tear, damage or other issues:
  • The wiring is earthed and bonded properly, and
  • Remove covers to inspect connections and conductors for signs of damage, and
  • Test the circuits to identify defects and faults.
Using an electrical inspector registered with a Competent Person Scheme such as NAPIT, ensures you meet the requirement of using someone competent and qualified to undertake the electrical inspection and test of your electrical installation. You can find a list of local registered electrical inspectors here
Arrange for any changes an electrician suggests on the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) to protect your tenants from electrical dangers. As a landlord it is your responsibility to ensure any works have been carried out. Any items coded C1, C2 or F1 on your EICR are deemed unsatisfactory and must be rectified. Always use a qualified and competent electrician to undertake the remedial work. You can find a list of Registered, Competent electricians here.
  Make sure your fuse box (called the ‘consumer unit’) is fitted correctly and not damaged. Also make sure it is not obstructed with flammable things like paint, newspapers or cleaning fluids.
  Make sure you have an RCD (Residual Current Device) and regularly check it is working via the test button - six monthly checks are recommended.
  Ensure cables aren’t passing through doors/window openings.
  Check socket outlets are not overloaded.
Before plugging in leads/cables check for signs of damage like cracks and splits.
Make sure appliances aren’t subject to a recall.
Check relevant covers are in place and undamaged on appliances so shock or fire risk is reduced.
Make sure a smoke alarm is fitted, working and the alarm sounds when tested.
When solid fuel burning appliances are installed, you are legally required to fit a carbon monoxide alarm just in case any leaks occur so the tenant is warned. It is recommended to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed if you have a gas burning appliance.
Keep a copy of ALL Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR), Electrical Installation Certificates (EIC) and Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificates (MEIWC) for use at the next inspection.
For any electrical appliances the landlord supplies for use by the tenant, retain and issue instructions to the tenants.
Retain guarantees so you have evidence the property is safe.
Carry out annual visual inspections of the electrical installation in your rented property. This is a good example of the type of visual inspection and guidance you should do.
For more information about The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020, please click here.
For more information about The Renting Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) (Wales) Regulations 2022, please click here.


All our information is brought to you by Kate Faulkner OBE, author of Which? Property books and one of the UK's top property experts.
This website is Copyright © Designs on Property Ltd and protected under UK and international law.