Make a property company complaint


Checklist provided by


Find out if the property company you have used is a member of any organisations.

For example:

  • Estate agents: Property Ombudsman
  • Builders: Federation of Master Builders
  • Plumbers: Gas Safe.

Whether the company is a member of a scheme or not, write down the following:

  • What work you wanted 
  • What costs had been agreed 
  • What work has been done 
  • How much money you have paid 
  • What work hasn’t been done/you are not happy with 
  • What you want done about it 
  • When you want the problem to be resolved by. 
  Secure any relevant paperwork such as letters emails, texts, dates of telephone calls etc to confirm your information.
  If the company is a member of the scheme, contact them first and make sure you know if they will consider your complaint.
  Ask how you have to complain. Do you write a letter, if so what do you include, or do you need to fill in a form or just discuss the issue over the phone? 

Ask what they can do to help with your complaint:

  • Just send a warning?
  • Ban their membership?
  • Organise financial compensation? 

Write a letter based on the information above and send it via ‘recorded delivery’ or email and use a ‘delivery and read receipt’.

If they don’t reply, call or visit the person/office to query what’s happening with your complaint.
If you still don’t hear from them speak to your local Office of Fair Trading or Citizens Advice Bureau and ask for further advice.
Consider taking legal action. Most local solicitors will see you for free first, take all your paperwork with you. Alternatively you can look at taking the company to the Small Claims Court if it’s less then £10,000
Alert friends, family and colleagues to the issues you have had with the company – make sure you stick to the facts though! 


All our information is brought to you by Kate Faulkner, author of Which? Property books and one of the UK's top property experts.
This website is Copyright © Designs on Property Ltd and protected under UK and international law.