Student Renting Quick Guide


Voted Best Student Accommodation in the UK 2012-13


Code Student Code Student Accommodation is more than
just a student landlord. We are a creative,
forward-thinking company that is passionate
about the care of our tenants and driven to
become the premier provider of student
accommodation in the UK.
Tel: 0116 233 5678

Thanks to 
Code Students this Student Guide to Renting is FREE of charge!

 Student Renting Quick Guide 


 Join Now   Done  
Attend any events about where to live when applying for universities  
Contrast and compare housing costs when considering offers   
Once you have chosen your college/university, find out your options from the student accommodation office   
Visit our Buy to Let checklists for help if your parents are looking to buy a property for you and other students to live in  
Work out a housing budget including any deposits and include cost of travel  
Visit properties on foot or by cycle, bus, so you know what the journey is like  
Find out what happens during the holiday periods – do you still have to pay rent?  
To check utility costs ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate    
Only rent from letting agents who are members of National Approved Letting Scheme or ARLA  
Only rent properties which are legally let, for example if a Home in Multiple Occupation does the landlord need a licence?   
If the property is let under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement make sure there is an:-
Energy Performance Certificate
Gas Safety Certificate
Ideally an electrical safety certificate

If you need to give the landlord a deposit what guarantees will the landlord give to returning it? Ideally make sure your deposit is kept in a government licenced Tenancy Deposit Scheme


Make sure you check a tenancy agreement with your student accommodation office before signing


Find out what happens if there is a problem with the property
eg boiler breaks down 


If sharing with others find out what happens if you fall out and one person moves out – who pays the rent and bills until someone else moves in? 


Find out what notice the landlord/letting agent needs if you wish to
move out of the property 


All our information is brought to you by Kate Faulkner, author of
Which? Property books and one of the UK's top property experts.
This website is Copyright © Designs on Property Ltd and protected under UK and international law.