How to Check your Home Electrics are Safe Checklist


NAPIT At NAPIT, our primary concern is your safety and making sure electrical work is carried out to the highest possible standard. NAPIT Registered Electricians have to keep up with latest regulations and meet strict qualification requirements and can help keep you and your family safe      Find a member


FREE How to Check your Home Electrics are

safe Checklist!


 Join Now Done    
Make sure you have a ‘Residual Current Device’ (RCD) on your electrical consumer unit and test it every few months by pressing the ‘test’ button. An RCD is a device that is incorporated into many consumer units and is designed to switch off your electrics when an electrical circuit fault develops in your home  

Are you aware of ‘Part P’ of the Building Regulations? For example, even moving a socket or light fitting in a bathroom requires notifying to your Local Authority Building Control department

NAPIT highly recommend having an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) carried out on your home at least every 10 years to check everything is safe for your family  

When moving home or renting a property, always check it has an up to date EICR to see if any work needs carrying out on the electrics


If any work is required, always make sure you agree what will be carried out and at what price in contract form. To find a local registered electrician Click Here


Make sure any work that is carried out in your home has the correct electrical safety certificates supplied, whether to ensure your family's safety or if you are planning to rent or sell your home. Visit NAPIT for more information on electrical safety

Examples of certificates:- 
  • A new circuit has been installed, this requires an Electrical Certificate
  • A new circuit includes any work wired directly through your fuse box/consumer unit requires a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (also known as a Part P Certificate)
  • A fuse box/consumer unit has been replaced requires an Electrical Certificate (Installation/Modification) and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (also known as a Part P Certificate) 
  • An existing circuit has been added to or altered in a room containing a bath, shower, swimming pool or sauna heater needs an Electrical Certificate (Installation/Modification), a Minor Works Electrical Certificate (for alterations only)and in many cases a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate (Part P)  See an example of an Approved Part P document
  • An existing circuit has been added to or altered requires a Minor Works Electrical Certificate 
Check how long any guarantees for work last. For example, in the event that your tradesperson is no longer in business, NAPIT provides a warranty to ensure that your installation will comply with the appropriate industry standards for six years from the date of completion

Remember if you do need your electrics checking, contact an electrician who is a member of a Competent Person Scheme, such as NAPIT


All our information is brought to you by Kate Faulkner, author of
Which? Property books and one of the UK's top property experts.
This website is Copyright © Designs on Property Ltd and protected under UK and international law.